A Time To Be Thankful
The Day that we call Thanksgiving has come and gone, but we still have plenty to be thankful for. For many years Thanksgiving has been a day set aside in American as a time of remembrance and a time to be thankful.
Thanksgiving is not celebrated as it has been in years gone by. Many stores are open, and some stores have Thanksgiving Specials. It is also celebrated by a day off from work, a day to watch parades, and football. Is Thanksgiving really a day to be thankful?
· Thanksgiving is a time to be thankful.
· It should be a day to be thankful for the blessings of God.
· Thanksgiving should not be a one day event, but we should be thankful every day.
· We have many people in our country that are not thankful, and some of them feel that God and everybody else owe them something.
1. God Promised to supply our needs.
Philippians 4:19 “But my God shall supply all your need according to his riches in glory by Christ Jesus.”
· Needs are our food, shelter, and clothes.
· God supplies our needs, and He also gives us lots of our wants.
· Many people in our generation have the meaning of wants and needs confused.
· I feel that our government has created an atmosphere to cause people to expect things, and make them feel as if they deserve something.
· Jesus dies on the cross for our sins, and He really does not owe us anything.
2. He has promised to bless us if we obey His Word.
Malachi 3:8-12 “8 Will a man rob God? Yet ye have robbed me. But ye say, Wherein have we robbed thee? In tithes and offerings. 9 Ye are cursed with a curse: for ye have robbed me, even this whole nation. 10 Bring ye all the tithes into the storehouse, that there may be meat in mine house, and prove me now herewith, saith the LORD of hosts, if I will not open you the windows of heaven, and pour you out a blessing, that there shall not be room enough to receive it. 11 And I will rebuke the devourer for your sakes, and he shall not destroy the fruits of your ground; neither shall your vine cast her fruit before the time in the field, saith the LORD of hosts. 12 And all nations shall call you blessed: for ye shall be a delightsome land, saith the LORD of hosts.”
· God has to keep and honor his Word.
· God will bless us if we fully obey His Word.
· This is a principal that we can live by.
3. God’s Blessings should cause us to be cheerful.
Zechariah 9:17 “For how great is his goodness, and how great is his beauty! corn shall make the young men cheerful, and new wine the maids.”
· We have troubles and tribulations, but we have plenty to be thankful and grateful for.
· We should be so excited about our blessings that we should not be able to contain it.
· The more that we love Jesus the more we should be excited and thankful.
4. We need to be Thankful and Bless The Lord’s Name.
Psalms 100:4-5 “4 Enter into his gates with thanksgiving, and into his courts with praise: be thankful unto him, and bless his name. 5 For the LORD is good; his mercy is everlasting; and his truth endureth to all generations.”
5. Jesus is our peace and we are to be thankful.
Colossians 3:15 “And let the peace of God rule in your hearts, to the which also ye are called in one body; and be ye thankful.”
· Christians should be the most thankful and happiest people in the earth.
· We have been set free from the bondage of sin.
6. We are Free Indeed.
John 8:36 “If the Son therefore shall make you free, ye shall be free indeed.”
· This should make us all thankful.
· We have all committed different types of sin, but we were all sinners lost without a saviour.
· Jesus came to this world to set us free from the bondage of sin.
7. A Foolish Person is a person that is not thankful
Romans 1:21 “Because that, when they knew God, they glorified him not as God, neither were thankful; but became vain in their imaginations, and their foolish heart was darkened.”
8. We must give thanks for everything
Ephesians 5:19-20 “19 Speaking to yourselves in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord; 20 Giving thanks always for all things unto God and the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ;”
9. We need to tell of the great things that God has done for us.
Psalms 26:7 “That I may publish with the voice of thanksgiving, and tell of all thy wondrous works.”
10. We must offer Thanksgiving to God.
Psalms 50:14 “Offer unto God thanksgiving; and pay thy vows unto the most High:”
11. Un-Thankfulness is one of the things that will happen in the last days.
2 Timothy 3:1-2 “1 This know also, that in the last days perilous times shall come. 2 For men shall be lovers of their own selves, covetous, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy,”
· I know that many people are having hard times, and that several people are just getting by in life.
· Regardless of our situations in life we are blessed beyond measure.
· God has been good to us, and we must give Him thanks.
· I am thankful for so many things, but I want to list a few of these.
1. I am thankful for God’s saving grace, and for Jesus dying on the cross for my sins, and that He gave me the gift of the Holy Ghost, and allowed me to see the truth and be baptized in the wonderful name of Jesus Christ.
2. I am thankful for a sound mind.
3. I am thankful for my health.
4. I am thankful for the roof over my head.
5. I am thankful for clothes on my back.
6. I am thankful for food on my table.
7. I am thankful for a wonderful natural family and church family.
8. I am thankful for a job, and all of God’s Blessings.
9. I am blessed above measure, and I am thankful for everything that He has given me.